This recipe features homemade chicken salad with healthy fat (mono and polyunsaturated fat) in place of saturated fat by using avocado and Greek yogurt instead of store-bought mayonnaise. Fresh tarragon in place of salt reduces sodium content, and adds a new flavor to your bland chicken salad. Finish it off with a hearty crunch from the apples, celery and walnuts! Enjoy this salad plan, spread on whole grain toast, or enjoy over leafy greens and you have some BOMB chicken salad for the week!
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- ½ large avocado or 1 small avocado
- ¼ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh Tarragon (or 2 Tbsp dried)
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 large granny smith apple sliced (or your favorite variety)
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- ½ cup unsalted walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 400⁰ F.
- Put chicken on baking sheet, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roast chicken at 400⁰ for 15-20 minutes, check the internal temperature until it is 165⁰.
- Meanwhile, mix together avocado, yogurt, tarragon, shallot, lemon juice, salt and pepper with a whisk or using food processor.
- When chicken is done, let it cool, then fork or chop into small pieces.
- Add chicken, walnuts, apple, and celery to homemade mayonnaise, and stir to combine.
- Chill in the refrigerator and enjoy!
Servings: 7 servings, (½ cup per serving).
Time: 30 min
Level of Difficulty: Medium
- Great over mixed greens, whole grain bread or pita.
- Make a big batch for your week! This recipe is good for 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. If you skip the apples, or add them before eating, it will last a little longer.
- No tarragon? This recipe is also nice with rosemary or basil instead.
- If you don’t have fresh spices, you can always use dried spice, just cut the portion in half.
Nutrition Facts: per ½ cup serving. Calories 275, Total Fat 11g, Saturated Fat 1g, Sodium 604mg, Total Carbohydrate 8g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugar 3g, Protein 38g.